After two identification and support schemes for emerging authors in 2013-2014 and 2015-2016, CircusNext goes to a new step in 2016-2017 with diverse activities, from laureates touring to an audiovisual platform, through a general reflection work on the sector of European contemporary circus.
Following the two CircusNext editions, the CircusNext project co-organizers launched from Summer 2016 till Summer 2017 a European Season for Circus Arts.
This season is the opportunity for partners and cultural operators of the European territory to disseminate the shows of the authors who were Jeunes Talents Cirque, Jeunes Talents Cirque Europe and CircusNext laureates from 2001 to 2016. 8 promotions of creative authors of contemporary circus, who contributed to the development of circus arts.
The presence of these authors in festivals, seasonal programming, in specially organized events will be an opportunity for the audience to (re)discover European contemporary creation, to be in dialogue with these artists, to have an insight in their creative processes, and to discover the strong European cooperation that allowed their support.
In the framework of the European Season of Circus Arts, Jeunes Talents Cirque Europe coordinates “Les Inédits de CircusNext” (which could be translated as “the unreleased or the unprecedented” of CircusNext), with our partners from the Parisian region. The idea is as follows: for each partner venue, we propose to 3 or 4 authors whom we have supported in the past a special request: to propose on their own or with 1 or 2 other laureates to create in situ short propositions that will then be presented to the local audience.
The technical specifications are simple: the performances will take place either outdoors or indoors with little technical conditions. The objective is to focus on the pleasure of collective and improvised creation, far from the usual pressure of production and creation and to reach local and diverse audiences.
These events will take place in May, June, and July 2017.
The partners involved and the calendar :
• May 13 at 17:30 and May 14 at 16:30: La Ferme du Buisson, Scène nationale de Marne-la-Vallée
• May 20 at 14:30: Théâtre de l’Agora, Scène nationale d’Evry
• May 20 at 19:00: Houdremont – Maison des Jonglages, scène conventionnée La Courneuve
• May 31 at 19:00 : Fête du Chapiteau bleu / Théâtre Louis Aragon de Tremblay
• June 4 at 16:30 and 18:15: festival Parade(s) in Nanterre, in partnership with Les Noctambules
• June 17 at 19:00: L’Espace Périphérique / Parc de la Villette
• June 25 at 19:00: festival Solstices - Pôle national des arts du cirque d’Antony
• July 1 at 17:30 and July 2 at 14:30: L’Avant-Seine in Colombes
In the framework of the European Season of Circus Arts, Jeunes Talents Cirque Europe organizes two events for circus and performing arts professionals, with the aim of producing a reflection on the notion of support / accompaniment to creation.
Two encounters will take place:
• Professional encounter Think Circus! and artistic program on March 23 and 24 2017 in the framework of SPRING festival, in partnership with Plateforme 2 Pôles Cirque en Normandie,
• Conference Think Circus! 1.0 in Paris on May 17-19, 2017 in partnership with La Villette.
These professional encounters will be an opportunity to present the CircusNext 2013-2017 project results, to offer a space for reflection and debates, and to disseminate tools mapping good practices developed in the framework of support activities to emerging creation.
Meant for persons interested in the issues of artistic creation support, these events will gather European cultural operators, institutions, artists, journalists, and thinkers (philosophers, sociologists, journalists, architects, town-planners...) in order to take a step back from our practices.
An audio-visual documentary will be published in 2017: it will illustrate the creation path of certain laureates of the promotions 2013-2014 and 2015-2016. The artists will share their creation processes during their support within the CircusNext scheme, the evolution of their writing methods, the obstacles met, their thought processes as authors.
This documentary will aim at raising awareness of diverse audiences about creation processes and contemporary circus emerging authors’ paths. It will be presented on the occasion of the European conference Think circus!
Following up on our objective of developing a common expertise in echoing the existing local dynamics with European challenges, the CircusNext project partners explore diverse reflection strands and will share the results of this reflection.
We will put an emphasis on questions or themes which can touch individually or collectively the project members and which will be a triggering point for workshops or exchanges organized as the project is carried out.
• artists identification
• support to production
• audience development and engagement
• relations to institutions and new business models
• multi-disciplinarity and touring in renowned venues which don’t program circus
• development in new territories
• training, relation with FEDEC
• relations with the media and with audiences
• support / accompaniment for artists
• resources production
A European evaluator, Agathe Dumont, expert researcher of contemporary circus and performing arts, has worked in close cooperation with the coordinator, the co-organizers and their partners since 2013. She will publish three evaluations in 2017 based on analyses and interviews of the stakeholders of the project.
Alongside this work, she guides the CircusNext platform partners in their cross-cutting reflection and will produce a study on the following themes:
- creation conditions in Europe (including a mapping of European residency venues)
- a charter on artistic residency hosting
- what new and innovating models in terms of support to emergence?
A full evaluation report will be published at the end of the project and a compilation of “good practices” will be disseminated throughout the whole cultural sector via professional networks (Circostrada, IETM, Culture Action Europe, etc.). CircusNext platform members will be the ambassadors of this study, which digital format will allow for a wide trans-sectorial and transnational dissemination.